10 Tips For Overcoming Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Almost all of us had days when we feel sleepy. But for some people, excessive sleep can disturb them a lot during their daily routine like work, childcare and even the leisure activities.
Poor sleep habits are usually the causes of excessive daytime sleepiness. Avoid those groggy and crabby days by following these tips for overcoming excessive daytime sleepiness:
- Get sufficient night sleep and also follow consistent sleep time. Eight or nine hours of sleep each night will help to avoid various sleep problems.
- Another best way of overcoming excessive daytime sleepiness is to follow consistent wake-up time. People suffering from this kind of problem should sleep and wake-up at the same time each day.
- Avoid distraction from your bed. Experts say that bed is only for sleep and sex. Don’t bring your laptop, TV, etc on your bed.
- Follow consistent mealtimes also helps in overcoming excessive daytime sleepiness. Regular mealtimes not only help to maintain regular sleep time, but also it helps regulate your circadian rhythm. Healthy breakfast and lunch can help to maintain sufficient energy levels throughout the day so that you may not sleepiness during the day.
- Do some exercising or stretching. Stretching and walking for few minutes will improve the blood flow. Exercises like deep breathing will improve body oxygen levels so that you will not feel sleepiness.
- Chat with your colleagues. Instead of sitting alone at your desk, better to engage in some beneficial talks that can activate your brain.
- Don’t eat heavy lunch. The heavier the lunch you eat, the more work your body needs and the sleepier you feel.
- Consume more fruits in the morning. People with excessive daytime sleepiness are suggested to eat more sweet fruits in the morning. Glucose present in the fruits gives instant boost to your mental activity during the day.
- Try acupressure on your face, shoulders, head and between the fingers as it can increase the blood circulation thus making you feel fresh.
- Drink coffee if you feel it is a must. Caffeine is a stimulant that can make your brain active for some time.