Do You Stop Breathing While Sleeping?
If you stop breathing while sleeping, then you might be a victim of sleep apnea. There are millions across the globe suffering from sleep apnea.
The word apnea refers to “no air”. The people with this condition often experience multiple breathing pauses while sleeping.
You can recognize this sleep disorder with few symptoms, which include waking up with a choked feel while sleeping or feel that you have stopped breathing while you were sleeping.
This condition would also make you experience abnormal pauses and breathing might be very low when you are sleeping. You will never be able to identify this condition until your spouse or someone sleeping near you witnesses it.
Symptoms associated with this condition:
If you stop breathing while sleeping and experience other similar symptoms then it means you are having sleep apnea. Look out for some of the symptoms such as:
- You might stop breathing while sleeping, which might not be noticed by you. This symptom can be noticed by the bed partner. If this happens regularly in your sleep, then it is best to consult a doctor.
- If you wake up in the middle of the night and realize that you are choking without breathing. However, once you wake up you would feel your throat is dry and nothing else is wrong.
- Extreme fatigue is what you will experience all day long even though you sleep for long hours at night.
- You might experience day time sleepiness as you might wake at many instances as your breathing would have lots of pauses in the middle.
- Many nights, you might have experienced falling asleep and if you go in to a deep sleep you might wake up for no reason and would have difficulty falling back to sleep.
- You might experience memory lapse and would even forget the regular activity you perform every day.
- You would be unable to concentrate on any trivial issues as you will not be able to focus on any issues for long time periods.
- You would feel anxious and irritated at the same time and might show anger on your family members and workplace friends.
- As you have sleep problems, you would wake up with a bad headache, which will affect all the work you do.
- Developing one or more complications such as High Blood Pressure, heart attack and irregular heartbeats.
Treatments that are non surgical in nature:
When you consult the doctor to discuss the issues you are facing, then he will advice you with one of following treatments, such as:
Reduce body weight:
If you have excess body weight, your doctor would advise you to lose some extra weight and advice you to sleep in different position while promoting the sleep quality.
Your doctor depending on the condition you are in would prescribe sleep inducing medicines, anti depressants, nasal sprays and decongestants.
This mask would help you to sleep freely without experiencing choking and you will not stop breathing while sleeping.