Traveling To Different Time Zone? Tips for Overcoming Jet Lag
For frequent international fliers, traveling across different international time zones can disturb circadian rhythms and the symptoms of jet lag are all very familiar.
You can reduce the effects of jet lag with careful planning. Here are some powerful tips to survive from jet lag and make your journey as comfortable as possible.
Beat jet lag with these careful tips:
Some of these helpful strategies may ease jet lag due to rapid travels.
Before Your Travel
- Stimulate your new schedules or timings before you travel and get adapted to new schedules after travel.
- If you are traveling overnight, make sure you have had fully rested and enough sleep before you leave. This will benefit you to prevent jet lag due to lack of sleep during your journey.
- Try to change your sleep routines and eating habits according to your new destinations local time.
- Book the flights that have transits so that you can get some time to take rest and prepare yourself for the next traveling activity. It will also be easier for you to adjust to the time change and feel less tired by the time you arrive your destination.
- Those who take strict schedule of medications, seek medical advice before traveling.
During The Travel:
- Stay hydrated before, during and after your flight journey. Avoid alcohol and caffeine consumption that may disrupt your sleep cycles and make you dehydrated as well.
- Take melatonin supplements to combat jet lag where melatonin plays a major role in regulating our circadian rhythms and induces sleep.
- Eat small and lighter meals frequently like fruits and vegetables.
- Whenever possible, try to move around the cabin.
- Wear comfortable clothing, eye masks, and ear plugs that keep you more comfortable in the flight to have good sleep.
Suggestions to set with your new time zone:
- Avoid strenuous activities like exercises before your bed time since it can be the reason for your sleep debts.
- Try natural light therapy to regulate your circadian rhythms. Try to get bright morning lights at your new destination and even commercially available light boxes are also very beneficial in coping with jet lag.
- Have a protein rich breakfast that helps you to improve alertness. Try to choose homemade food and even take some minerals and vitamins.
- Practice some relaxation techniques.