Know The Five Types Of Sleepwalking Causes In Adults
Sleepwalking is a complex behavior accomplished while you are asleep. Sometimes you may notice a nonsensical talking during sleep walk.
Medically this condition is called as Somnambulism. According American Academy of Sleep Medicine, four out of every hundred adults sleepwalk.
Nowadays it has become more common than previously thought.
Still the exact causes of sleepwalking are not known, but there are various factors that are thought to contribute to developing such kind of sleep disorder.
The most possible sleepwalking causes in adults include:
According to the studies, one of the main type of sleepwalking causes in adults include some physiological and medical conditions. Such medical conditions are
- Acid reflux
- Epileptic seizures while sleeping
- Head injuries
- Irregular heart beat
- Migraine headaches
- Magnesium deficiency
- Nighttime seizures
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless leg syndrome
- Traumatic brain injury
- Upper airway resistance syndrome
Use of Medications
There are some prescription medications and over-the-counter medications that can encourage sleep walking behavior. Here is the list of medications that can be sleepwalking causes in adults:
- Lithium and lithium in combination with neuroleptics
Apart from these medicines, when you consume alcohol or take any other antihistamines can also cause sleepwalking in adults.
One of the main sleepwalking causes in adults is having a family history of sleepwalkers. Reports have proved that sleepwalking runs in the families. Almost 30% of adults who had sleepwalking also have their family members who were known to walk during sleep.
There are some situations around us that can cause us to sleepwalk, such as:
- Changing in the sleep schedule
- Irregular sleep habits
- Exhaustion and sleep deprivation
- Many disturbances during sleep like frequent bathroom trips or sleeping in a noisy environment
- Changes in your sleep arrangements
- Interrupted sleep or inefficient sleep
- Fatigue or lack of sleep
- Alcohol intoxication
There are various psychological factors that can turnout into sleepwalking causes in adults. Disorders like anxiety, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, etc. are more likely to be linked with sleepwalking.
- Depressed people are three and half times more likely to sleepwalk when compared to people without any depressive disorder.
- Stress and various other emotions can cause increased episodes of sleepwalk.
- Obsessive compulsive disordered people are four times more likely to sleepwalk when compared to people without any psychological problems.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder is also associated with increases risk of sleepwalking.