What Are Various Types of Sleeping Pills?
Are you looking for the first sleep aid after diagnosed with insomnia? If you are looking for sleeping pills, you have come to the right place because here I am going to discuss about different types of sleeping pills.
First thing you should remember is not all the sleeping pills are same. Each pill works differently from the other and the side effects too vary from each other.
Before going to take the sleeping pill, you should get cleared with various things, such as:
- How much time does the pill take to show its effect?
- How long its effect lasts?
- Are there any risks of becoming habituated on sleeping pill, psychologically or physically?
Various Types of Sleeping Pills
Here are the various types of sleeping pills doctors usually suggest:
- Diphenhydramine: The drug shows its effect on histamine receptors in the brain and makes you feel drowsiness. The effect of the drug lasts for 4-6 hours.
- GABA Medicines: These drugs bind to a particular type of GABA receptor in the brain. Effects last for 6-8 hours.
- Rozerem: Also called as sleep-wake cycle modifier help to stimulate the receptors that are responsible for the production of melatonin in your brain, which help to control your sleep and wake cycle. Effects last for 4-6 hours.
- Benzodiazepines: This category includes drugs like Ativan, Restoril, Xanax, Halcion, Valium, etc. These drugs bind to a specific kind of GABA receptors in your brain. Effects last for 4-12 hours.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants: There are group of medicines belong to this type, such as Aventyl, Pamelor, Trazodone, Adapin, Elavil, Sinequan, etc. These drugs help to bind various type of brain receptors, such as acetylcholine and sedating. It is not confirmed about how long the effects of this drug may last.